It’s that time of year again: lights are twinkling, bells are ringing, wine is mulling, and credit cards are tapping… it’s the holiday season in Vancouver! Whether you’re planning a visit to Vancouver to shop for gifts, attend the corporate Christmas party, or just take in the holiday spirit, this city has lots to do and see to get you in the mood.
Right opposite The Burrard, you’ll find the impressive, twinkling Lights of Hope display, an annual fundraiser for St. Paul’s Hospital – if you’re looking to kick up the holiday spirit during your stay, ask for a room with a view of it!
We’re sure ready for the festive spirit to hit us this year, which means that a few of our favourite holiday events actually start in mid-November (we’re looking at you, Vancouver Christmas Market and Canyon Lights!) However, most of the Yuletide action stretches throughout the month of December, with a couple of events extending into January.
PARKS AND GARDENS
- Bright Nights in Stanley Park – A Vancouver favourite, while the legendary miniature train is paused this year for upgrades, there’s a sparkling tunnel of lights, vendors offering churros, hot chocolate, and more.
- Van Dusen Garden Festival of Lights – The city’s largest botanical garden offers 15 acres of lit trails decorated for the season to sparkling effect.
- Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge – Lights are strung across the bridge and throughout the forest, including in eight of the world’s tallest Christmas trees.
- The Peak of Christmas at Grouse Mountain – Subbing for the North Pole, you’ll find Santa’s workshop, reindeer, the Light Walk, and an outdoor skating pond. Make sure you hit the Gingerbread Village and vote for your favourite sweet creation; proceeds support BC Children’s Hospital!
OTHER FUN-FILLED FESTIVE OPTIONS
- Vancouver Christmas Market – Right downtown, this is a German-style market packed with crafts, gift ideas, entertainment, and lots of food and drinks!
- PNE Winter Fair – This one has a little bit of everything for the whole family: a concert series, skating, a winter market, and a walk-through festive lights display!
Planning on heading to Vancouver over the holiday season? Search our site for some great rates.
Santa’s Workshop at Grouse Mountain: Grouse Mountain website