Upcoming Event: The Holiday Season in Vancouver
It’s that time of year again: lights are twinkling, bells are ringing, wine is mulling, and credit cards are tapping… it’s the holiday season in Vancouver! Whether you’re planning a visit to Vancouver to shop for gifts, attend the corporate Christmas party, or just take in the holiday spirit, this city has lots to do and see to get you in the mood.
Right opposite The Burrard, you’ll find the impressive, twinkling Lights of Hope display, an annual fundraiser for St. Paul’s Hospital – if you’re looking to kick up the holiday spirit during your stay, ask for a room with a view of it!
We’re sure ready for the festive spirit to hit us this year, which means that a few of our favourite holiday events actually start in mid-November (we’re looking at you, Vancouver Christmas Market and Canyon Lights!) However, most of the Yuletide action stretches throughout the month of December, with a couple of events extending into January.
PARKS AND GARDENS
- Bright Nights in Stanley Park – A Vancouver favourite, and while tickets for the legendary miniature have already sold out for the season, there’s a sparkling tunnel of lights, vendors offering churros, hot chocolate, and more.
- VanDusen Garden Festival of Lights – The city’s largest botanical garden offers 15 acres of trails lit up with over 1 million lights and decorated for the season to sparkling effect.
- Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge – Lights are strung across the bridge and throughout the forest, including the Treetops Adventure and Cliffwalk. Note, advance timed reservations are required.
- The Peak of Christmas at Grouse Mountain – Subbing for the North Pole, you’ll find Santa’s workshop, reindeer, the Light Walk, and an outdoor skating pond. Head inside for Christmas movies in Theatre in the Sky, and live entertainment throughout the season.
OTHER FUN-FILLED FESTIVE OPTIONS
- Liven UP Coal Harbour – Brand new this year, this free event brings the Coal Harbour sea wall to life with light installations, artists, musicians and storytellers along the stretch from Canada Place to Cardero Park.
- Vancouver Christmas Market – Right downtown, this is a German-style market packed with crafts, gift ideas, entertainment, and lots of food and drinks!
- PNE Winter Fair – This one has a little bit of everything for the whole family: live shows, skating, a winter market, ice bumper cars, and a walk-through festive lights display!
Planning on heading to Vancouver over the holiday season? Search our site for some great rates.
Santa’s Workshop at Grouse Mountain: Grouse Mountain website